April 14, 2006

"Minor compared to how I felt when I saw it"

A graduate professor of English is under investigation for inciting her students to tear up and throw away a display of crosses put up by pro-life students.

This is not a post to discuss the abortion issue. What struck me is her rationale for the act:
"Any violence perpetrated against that silly display was minor compared to how I felt when I saw it. Some of my students felt the same way, just outraged."
In short, any action is ok if it emerges from strong feelings of being offended.

This is a striking position for a soi-disant feminist, who presumably rejects the lyric from "My Fair Lady" and its associated stereotype:
Women are irrational,
That's all there is to that.
Their heads are full of cotton, hay and rags."
Jacobsen is not alone. The inimitable scientist, Nancy Hopkins, is said to have walked out of the famous talk by Harvard President Larry Summers because if she didn't, she was going to "throw up."

If I said the signs of the old communist types who hold a weekly anti-American "peace vigil" on Main Beach at Laguna Beach gave me hives or agita, and therefore I could grab them and stomp on them, I could no doubt contemplate the wisdom of my emotional justification for political vandalism from the local pokey, at least until bail was posted.

The Derangement Syndrome is not confined to Bush.

HT: Michelle Malkin.

No comments: