October 3, 2005

Harriet Who?

President Bush has nominated Harriet Miers to the Supreme Court. Harriet who?

Just as when Dick Cheney was guiding the search for a Vice Presidential running-mate for Bush, Miers was vetting the potential nominees for the court.

I like the fact that she's not a sitting judge, and I believe the President is entitled to some deference in his nominations, but this choice smacks of cronyism. Does service on the Texas Lottery Commission qualify one for the Supreme Court?

She's not young (59 or 60, depending on whom you read), so she may not be on the court for that long. She was picked partly because she's female, so I guess now we have a female seat on the Court, just as there used to be a "Jewish seat," not a good development.

I wonder what nickname W. has given this woman?

Given how jaundiced I am about the political scene at the moment, look forward to more ethnomusicology posts. Pythagorean tuning, anyone?

UPDATE: NZBear has a tally page on bloggers' opinions on this nomination. To enable his search engine to find this post, I am adding: "I am neutral on the Miers nomination."

No comments: