March 20, 2005

Taking the Pledge

It seems improbable for it to lead to anything, but the Federal Election Commission is trying to figure out if blogging in favor of a candidate, or linking to a candidate's website is a political contribution subject to government regulation. Patterico says this:

This led to me wonder how unusual my position really is. I suspect that my attitude is widely shared by bloggers, including those who have signed the open letter to the FEC.

I think it's time to put the question to you directly. Who out there will make this pledge:

If the FEC makes rules that limit my First Amendment right to express my opinion on core political issues, I will not obey those rules.

Beldar and Billy Beck have clearly said this. Slim999, who bears a startling resemblance to Keanu Reeves, has created a blog for the express purpose of defying the FEC on this issue. I think that counts.

Judging from the comments I have read over the past few days, I believe there are plenty of others out there who feel the same way. Some of you have said as much in comments, and some of you have written blog posts that are consistent with my view. But I want to see if people will expressly make this pledge on their blog.

Who else will make this pledge? Do a blog post about it, e-mail me at patterico -AT- patterico -DOT- com, and I'll link it here.

I've always thought campaign finance reformers are sanctimonious nitwits and campaign finance regulation, other than the requirement of disclosure, takes a major bite out of the First Amendment.

So yes, I'll take the pledge.

No comments: