October 5, 2004

Random Thoughts on Cheney's Win

Since he came to national prominence, I've always thought Dick Cheney was a national treasure. The very gruff, laconic, knowledgeable approach that makes him a bit "dark" on TV, I find reassuring. He's the kind of guy I imagine I'd want as a commander in war -- he'd do what he has to do to win, and do his best to keep you safe, without mincing words.

Edwards was well-prepared, expressive, knows some good courtroom techniques. He seems likeable, but he also seemed a lightweight. He didn't answer the questions, and avoided doing so in a very obvious way. A low-key demagogue.

Gwen Ifill asked some good, hard questions. I was surprised. Of course, she didn't ask about the big univited guest at the national table -- immigration. I'd like to see somebody do it, but I'm not counting on it.

Best Cheney lines:

  • I preside over the Senate, and this is the first time we've met.
  • If you can't stand up to Howard Dean, how are you going to stand up to Osama Bin Laden?
  • Thanking Edwards for his kind remarks about his family, and then shutting up about gay marriage

Most important thing: Kerry's record is now out in the open and up for grabs and "global test" was reinforced as a GOP mantra.

With the playoffs on, the male audience, who Cheney might appeal to, was probably low. In fact it was probably low except for political junkies such as I.

No comments: