September 6, 2004

Liberal Blather Deconstructed

Lileks takes to task Wallace Shawn and Art Spiegelman for their idiotic comments on Bush and terrorism. (Tip of the hat to the indispensable Hugh Hewitt for the link).

Shawn may be remembered as one of the writers and actors in the worst movie of all time. Spiegelman is a graphic artist who wrote a graphic novel about the mass-murder of Europe's Jews.

Here's Lileks, who could be speaking for me on why this blog is so single-minded and nudnik-like:

You will, I hope, note that this site spends very little time on taxes, regulation, stem cell research, abortion, the death penalty, gay marriage, environmentalism, school vouchers, mass transit, clog dancing, circumcision, Central Standard Time, Coke V. Pepsi, or any other major issue of the day. Now and again I’ll bring one of them up. But not often. I do bring up the war more than any other issue, because I happen to believe we’re in one, and it should be won. I have no problem debating strategies and objectives, but there are some arguments that bore me right away. I am not intolerant of these ideas. I’m just tired of them. They come from some Happy-clappy parallel universe where Islamic terrorists do not bayonet little kids in the gut when they ask for water. I do not live there.

Amen, brother!

Sometime I'll have to riff on why so many, including some beloved members of my own family, are so emotional in the style of Wally and Art.


No comments: